From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-01 06:43:33

David Abrahams wrote: > From: "Markus Schöpflin"
<markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden]>

>>libs/io/test/ios_state_test.cpp
>><lib>../libs/test/build/test_exec_monitor # sources
>>: # args
>>: # input-files
>>: <runtime-link>static # requirements (static runtime required by
>>Metrowerks)
>>

>>This breaks the test for vacpp. I think the above should be changed to
>>
>>... : <metrowerks><*><runtime-link>static
>>
>>This makes sure that the special build requirement is only applied when
>>needed.
>

> Not quite. We now have a cwpro8 toolset which will also need static
> linking. Why does vacpp fail to link this statically?

Hmm, as you asked I investigated a little further. Seems like the vacpp
toolset needs another fix. To quote from the documentation for vacpp:

<quote>
The default option, -bdynamic, ensures that the C library (lib.c) links
dynamically. To avoid possible problems with unresolved linker errors
when linking the C library, you must add the -bdynamic option to the end
of any compilation sections that use the -bstatic option.
</quote>

This looks like we could unconditionally add -bdynamic to the end of the
xlc-Link-action. If we decide to do this, I will do a clean regression
run before commiting that fix.

But I still think that the Jamfile should'nt globally force requirements
just because a specific compiler needs them.

Markus