From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-08 10:06:58

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> At 01:38 PM 10/3/2002, David Abrahams wrote:
> >I've started to run all my HTML through HTMLTidy as part of my procedure
> >(the command-line tidy integrates nicely with emacs!), and it's begun to
> >complain about named references in URIs that contain spaces, e.g.
> >
> >http://www.boost.org/libs/utility/utility.htm#Class noncopyable
> >
> >This one is invalid due to the space. HTMLTidy changes the space to %20,
> >but then my browser can't follow the link to its end.
>
> Sorry for asking the obvious, but...
>
> * Did you also change the utility.htm target anchor to use %20?

No, I was hoping it would be considered identical. My hope was to keep
HTMLTidy happy locally without having to go and fix up other parts of
Boost, possibly breaking other cross-references.

> * What browser are you using?

IE (6 I think).

> > I tried to come up
> >with a grep expression which would find all instances of this, but my
> >talent with grep ran out of road.
>
> But do we know what is actually valid? It is pretty scary if even
> HTMLTidy can't figure out the "right way". Need to do some research.

I don't know what you mean. HTMLTidy claims the space is illegal and
is unambiguous about it.

--
           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting