From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-08 13:59:56

From: "David B. Held" <dheld_at_[hidden]>
> Should these be in their own file, perhaps?

I don't see why, if you are talking about the (shared|sp)_static_cast
functions.

> I'd like to use the
> detail::*_cast_tags without creating my own and without having a
> dependency on shared_ptr<>.

The tags are really only an implementation detail. We can move them to -
say - detail/cast_tags.hpp but why should different smart pointers use the
same tag classes?

> Also, it seems that there is a type of
> Smart Pointer Concept that involves things like element_type,
> get_pointer(), casting, etc., that smart pointers should, in general
> conform to. Would it be useful to spell this out explicitly?

Yes, it would be useful, although the concept is still pretty unstable. :-)