From: Andrei Alexandrescu (andrewalex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-10 20:02:07

"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> At 06:05 PM 10/10/2002, David Abrahams wrote:
>
> >... If you're worried about making a fool of
> >yourself, think how I'll feel if we propose unneccessary language
> >changes for move semantics ;-)
>
> For those who don't understand Dave's comment above, see
> http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2002/n1377.htm, "A Proposal
> to Add Move Semantics Support to the C++ Language" by Howard Hinnant,
Peter
> Dimov, and Dave Abrahams.

FWIW, I still believe that a language-based solution is best. ZUTO is a hack
that takes the Colvin/Gibbons trick (used in auto_ptr) to new, rarefied
heights.

But realistically, a language change is likely to be in effect in 3 years in
theory, and in 5-7 for practical purposes. So I am very happy that now we
have a solid solution within the current language.

Andrei