From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-12 22:09:09

At Friday 2002/10/11 01:06, you wrote:
> > I have only briefly looked over the documentation. Are you using a
> > quad-linked structure to avoid link allocations (i.e. the links are
> embedded
> > in the nodes)?
>
>Yes, the nodes are
>
> template<class T>
> struct tree_node_ {
> tree_node_<T> *parent;
> tree_node_<T> *first_child, *last_child;
> tree_node_<T> *prev_sibling, *next_sibling;
> T data;
> };

At my previous job, we inherited a data structure which could have been
refactored into your tree_node_<>
We were asked to make an "iterator" for another group and these guys had
never heard of the STL. In their architecture, "containers" were defined
by the iterators, the data was "just there". Since in a "tree" it's
somewhat ambiguous as to whether a "node" is just a data element, or if
it's a container (itself and all it's children) we came up with a concept
we were calling a containerator. Unfortunately, a serious downturn in
business cost us 35% of the people (including me) and I don't know what
happened to the project. The interface for the containerator looked like:

class Containerator : public std::iterator<std::bidirectional_iterator_tag,
DataNode>
{
public:
         Containerator();
//!<default constructor
         Containerator(const Containerator& i); //!<copy
constructor
         explicit Containerator(DataNode* ptr); //!<make
iterator from a pointer
         ~Containerator();
         Containerator& operator =(const Containerator& i);
         DataNode& operator *()const;
         DataNode* operator ->()const;
         Containerator& operator ++();
         const Containerator operator ++(int);
         Containerator& operator --();
         const Containerator operator --(int);
         Containerator begin()const;
         Containerator end()const;
         bool operator ==(const Containerator& rhs)const;
         bool operator !=(const Containerator& rhs)const;
         bool operator !() const;
protected:
         DataNode* where_we_are;
};

Note that sizeof Containerator<> is only the same size as a pointer to your
tree_node_

I still have some of the preliminary code we were putting together if
you're interested.
The ++ operators traversed in node, child0, child1, child2.... order
The -- operators in childn, childn-1, childn-2...child0, node order