From: Terje Slettebø (tslettebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-12 22:19:39

>From: "Howard Hinnant" <hinnant_at_[hidden]>

> </philosophical on/>
>
> And hopefully not going to far off track here: The automatic shoulder
> strap belts that try to help by automatically placing the shoulder
> strap around you, while leaving you with the job of attaching the lap
> belt, are a menace to safety and I can't believe that they ever made it
> into public use.

Do you here refer to the ordinary three-point seatbelts, with a fixed lower
point, a rolling upper point, and the third other side lower point for
attaching? If that's what you mean, I think that works very well, as you
with one point attachment gives a three-point belt, so the attachment
attaches both the diagonal and horizontal belt. Why would that be a menace
to safety, and what would you recommend instead?

>Fwiw, I've used --c.end() and am not sorry for it! :-)

If you do that on Intel C++ and STLPort for e.g. c=std::string, you get a
compile-time error, as c.end() is not a modifiable lvalue. :) In other
words, whether or not that work depends on the platform, and is therefore
not portable.

Regards,

Terje