From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-14 10:36:32

Although a previous poster drew a valid distinction between exact maths and
inexact numerical algorithms, I am unconvinced at the usefulness of the
distinction for classifying Boost libraries. Where, for example, do inescapably
inexact constants of outdoubtedly mathematical things like pi go?

Similarly I can't see any good reason for putting any of these items below in
different subgroups. And it seems already to have been acknowldeged that the
'root' /boost/ will become crowded, so we need some sub-directories.

I suggest we move them all on the next major release to /boost/numeric. (plural
/numericS is/would have been better).

I accept that this will cause some hassle to some existing users, but the sooner
done, the fewer inconvenienced.

Paul

PS Unless someone comes up with a different 'grand scheme' for all libraries,
current and foreseeable?

Dr Paul A Bristow, hetp Chromatography
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]