From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-25 01:41:24

> I think the whole approach of merging from the release to the main
> trunk is totally misguided. If there's a fix which _can_ be applied in
> the trunk, it should be made there *first*.

This works fine as long as the we are sure that the fix
doesn't depend on some other change that isn't in the
release candidate. For most changes I would expect that
this would be true. If, however, there was a change in
the config stuff then someone could break the release
candidate by checking in a change without the dependent
config changes. Also, if the trunk is broken or no regression
tests are being run on the trunk it will be hard to validate
that the change to the trunk is safe and therefore know that
it is safe to merge into the release candidate.

Anyway, no matter which direction the merge is done, in most
cases I think the normal procedure should be to merge right
away for low risk changes (eg: documentation). For code
changes which carry higher risk it would be nice to have a
regression test done on the changed branch before the merge
is done.

Jeff