From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-26 20:01:40

> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <andrewalex_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > If you're trying to imply I was pretending program size is not a
> > > serious issue, please take it back.
> >
> > Why all the defensiveness?
>
> Possibly just too little sleep at work. However, when someone posts:
>
> "I am mildly surprised that some people pretend that that's not a
> problem."
>
> one begins to wonder who "some people" are. AFAICT I was the only
> person who posted anything that could be construed as minimizing the
> issue up to that point...

I posted a reply in that thread which minimized the issue of size in favor
of looking at the design instead. Andrei may have been referring to my
reply. I still stand by my opinion that issues in software design can not be
simplified down to someone saying that the size is too big and therefore
code bloat exists, and then insisting that this is unacceptable. That sort
of thinking is neither worthy of the author of "Modern C++ Design" nor of
any other creative programmer.

Certainly code bloat may exist, but then one has to look at code and the
design itself and comment on the particulars to propose something better.