From: Joel de Guzman (djowel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-30 18:21:03

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]>

> I have a need to do some SQL parsing and information extraction so I decided to take a look at
Spirit. I was hoping someone might
> have already created and SQL parser, but didn't see one in the examples/tests. So if there is one
out there that I missed please
> provide pointers.

I'm almost sure someone has written one before. I don't remember
who. Im took the liberty to post this to Spirit's ML just in case.

> Alternatively, is there a script or something for taking existing EBNF and creating a Spirit
parser shell?

Something like a YACC --> Spirit or ANTLR --> Spirit converter?
Hmmm. Interesting thought. ANTLR-->Spirit seems doable.
YACC --> Spirit needs to transform left recursion. While direct
left recursion can be easily transformed, indirect left recursion
is troublesome.

> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
>
> BTW, sorry I didn't get a chance to review Spirit but from what I've read now and before, this
looks like an incredible piece of
> work. I'm really hoping to find an excuse to use it soon :-)

Thanks for the compliment.

Regards,
--Joel