From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-02 01:10:30

Doug,

A very nice graph (I am not as good at ASCII graphing...)!

I agree with your CPPXML layer. For cross-referencing, though, it would
be beneficial to then operate on that CPPXML level, since we there have
the semantics preserved (i.e, a template is still a template, and a
specialization a specialization). That way we could list all
specializations for a template, for instance.

I do believe that this CPPXML of yours should be a proper extension of
DocBook, in the sense of super-language, so all DocBook documents are
valid CPPXML documents. This to enable developers writing the high-level
specifications, which cannot/should not be extractable from the source
code in DocBook, and use the CPPXML extensions to express C++-specific
constructions and still use the same transformer XSL (the arch between
your "C++ XML" and "DocBook XML" nodes) as the generated documentation.

So, we should extend DocBook, *but* with your preprocessing XSLs, so we
can still enjoy the DocBook stylesheets and tools from the next node.

A concrete rendering note: from my experience with XSL-FO, using Apache
FOP, it is still better to go the TeX route to create PDF (or PS) from
the DocBook document.

/David