From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-04 00:58:48

Roman Yakovenko wrote

>Hi it was my second question that I ask only my self. I have toserialize
>objects across net and also to save them to files. Also it possible to write
>operator<< that will serialize from\to recordset. Also one of the
>possible uses of your library is copy function. The common between those
>things is, as you wrote, flatten/unflatten functionality. So my question
>is would it be possible to specialize your class over my own stream-like
>object?

I believe it is much easier than that. Consider the stream like object
std::strsteam.

As I said before, basic_[i,o]archive make no assumption what ever about
what kind of data storage medium is going to be used. I've used streams in my
derivations from basic_[i,o]archive but I could imagine someone using
an RPC protocol instance, Microsoft COM interface, or who knows what?

Robert Ramey