From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-11 19:25:13

"Jeremy Siek" <jsiek_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Hi Edward,
>
> Since you feel so strongly about this, please write a new version of the
> property map docs and send them to me.
>
> In future emails, I would appreciate it if you refrained from using such
> an accusatory tone. At this point I'm feeling hurt by your words and
> discouraged about volunteering my time to boost.

I apologize for sounding accusatory. I don't understand what you are at with
property_map although I discern a good idea in there. I just don't
understand why you are unwilling to explain it in terms that others can use
more easily. I know that I am missing how the mechanism works which links
the property_map concept to the get(), put(), and operator[] functions.

It is your idea and your documentation. If you feel that the documentation
is fit for the use of others, so be it. I will move on to other libraries
which I can understand. But I would like you to think about the possibility
that what you perhaps understand intuitively, others don't because they
don't have the information necessary to use your idea.

I don't want to ever discourage you or any others from contributing to an
organization so devoted to software excellence as Boost is. I am truly sorry
if any nastiness crept into the discussion in my efforts to understand your
software.

> [...]
property map.
> eddiel>
> eddiel> Example of this in the doc please, with some function template
showing this
> eddiel> technique as practical usage within your "concept".
> eddiel>
> eddiel> >
> eddiel> > eddiel> I do not believe that any of these questions are
answered clearly
> eddiel> > eddiel> in the property map documentation although they are all
basic
> eddiel> > eddiel> points which should be explained to the end user. I know
there is
> eddiel> > eddiel> a concept there of mapping keys to values but beyond
that the
> eddiel> > eddiel> documentation seems abstruse at best and needlessly
irritating at
> eddiel> > eddiel> worst.
> eddiel> > eddiel>
> eddiel> > eddiel> Please Boosters <g>, think about explaining your ideas
to the
> eddiel> > eddiel> programming world in ways that they understand and can
use, rather
> eddiel> > eddiel> than in metaprogramming terminology which only a select
few know.
> eddiel> > eddiel> Good documentation is as important, in its own way, as
good code.
> eddiel> >
> eddiel> > I've taken another look at the docs, and I'm afraid I do not see
a lot of
> eddiel> > room for improvement. The docs say pretty much what I said
above, and
> eddiel> > include links to resources where one can learn more about
generic
> eddiel> > programming.
> eddiel> >
> eddiel> > The property map library is by nature abstract. The main point
of the
> eddiel> > library is not to provide concrete classes, but instead to
describe a
> eddiel> > whole family of classes so that they can be used interchangeably
in
> eddiel> > function templates (generic algorithms).
> eddiel> >
> eddiel> > The property map library is for generic programming, and is
described
> eddiel> > using the terminology of generic programming. If you aren't
doing generic
> eddiel> > programming, then you don't need the property map library.
> eddiel>
> eddiel> I think you have taken an end run around the problem of your
documentation.
> eddiel> Rather than explain how to use your concept in detail to do
generic
> eddiel> programming, you want to insist that you have explained it
adequately for
> eddiel> other implementors to use it and that is what matters to you. OK,
I will