From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-17 18:32:44

> We use both XML and binary XDR formats for serialization in our
> applications: XML for short files and for meta-information, files in
> XDR and/or HDF5 for large data sets. While I can imagine a
> serialization of a class into XML as part of a serialization library
> like the one proposed, I cannot easily imagine deserialization in the
> framework of the current library. It would need a full XML parser,
> which does not yet exist in boost.

I have seen seriazliation of complex object structures with XML as well
so I agree with Peter that it is a valid extension scenario. In fact,
I'm suprised it hasn't come up before.

Anyway an XML parser doesn't need to exist in boost as long as the
library would support the needed extensions. Seems like a user could
write XML archive classes that would bind to whatever XML parser/formatter
they wanted.

If there are technical reasons why the library cannot be extended to
do this than I would definitely vote to reject. It sounds like that's
what you and Robert are saying, but I don't understand why you think
this?

Jeff