From: Rene Rivera (grafik666_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-25 04:16:12

[2002-11-25] Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:

>Rene Rivera <grafik666_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>| Nice to know, but AFAIK "(C)" does have legal standing; but only if used
in
>| addition to "Copyright". And yes the command as previously posted checked
>| for "copyright" only :-)
>
>But of course if "Copyright" is present, then "(C)" is utterly
>redundant. It was my impression also that the string "(C)" never had
>any legal standing. (IMHO you kill it, and use "Copyright" all over.)

To quote from my handy dandy legal guide (Software development; a legal
guide / by Stephen Fishman. -- 2nd national ed. ISBN 0-87337-397-90)...

4.R. Form of Notice?
...A valid copyright notice contains three elements:
* the copyright symbold or the words "Copyright" or "Copr.,"
* if the software or other work is published, the year of publication, and
* the name of the copyright owner.
It is not required that these elements appear in any particular order in the
notice, but most notices are written in the order set forth above.

[...and further along...]

4.R.1. Copyright Symbol or the Words "Copyright" or "Copr."
...in those 20 or so foreign countries that require a copyright notice
appear on published work for it to be protected by copyright at all, you
must use the © [circled c, for those without the correct char set] symbol...
So if your work might be distributed outside the U.S., be sure to always use
the © [circled c] symbol.

...if, for some reason, your computer is unable to make a © [circled c]
symbol, the word Copyright or abbreviation Copr. should be used along with a
c in parentheses--like this: (c). This will be valid notice in the U.S., but
there might be problems in some foreign countries.

[
...Clear as mud, right ;-)

Not claiming to be a lawyer... just quoting one.
]

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera_at_[hidden] - grafik_at_[hidden]
-- 102708583_at_icq - Grafik666_at_AIM - Grafik_at_[hidden]