From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-01 20:02:39

At 11:26 AM 11/30/2002, David Abrahams wrote:
>"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Google tells me that I was wrong, and the "correct" implementation was
>> originally suggested by C. Green in
>>
>> http://lists.boost.org/MailArchives/boost/msg00886.php
>
>Hmm. Can anyone track him down to get permission to use it? I don't
>recall seeing his name in any recent postings.

Mmmm... While I think it is great if you discuss it with him or her, and
I've sent you the email address privately, I also think that simply
crediting him or her is enough.

Should we be worrying about a code snippet posted on a public mailing list
like Boost's, particularly one so short and with no indication of any wish
to consider it anything other than a typical throw-away posting?

I'm all for bending over backwards to protect Booster's intellectual
property rights, but I having a lot of trouble applying IP concepts to such
a posting. Am I off-base here?

--Beman