From: Roland Richter (roland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-09 04:49:41

Dear all,

I would like to announce that I finally imported the first set
of Boost.View classes to the Boost-Sandbox CVS.

+ What is it?

A view is a light-weight, immutable decorator to some existing data.
Usually, it will provide the same interface as a STL container.

In much the same way as an iterator adaptor wraps a "dumb" STL iterator
and adds functionality, a container adaptor or view wraps a STL container
and attaches some further functionality.

The topic recently has been discussed following news://news.gmane.org:119/3DAEFCBB.4050003@eecs.umich.edu

+ History?

The first to introduce a view library was Jon Seymour back in 1995,
http://www.zeta.org.au/~jon/STL/views/doc/views.html

The most complete implementation of views so far was (and still is)
the View Template Library by Gary Powell and Martin Weiser,
http://www.zib.de/weiser/vtl/

In contrast to these implementations, Boost.View relies on
iterator_adaptors, which made implemention much easier.

+ What next?

Some further views (zip_view etc) are on the way; however,
since these require an extended tuple type (tuples for iterators,
containers etc), I intend to commit such a tuple type first.

Rumors have it that iterator_adaptors is redesigned from scratch.
I'd like to hear any news...

+ Platforms?

Boost.View was tested with

     + gcc 2.95.3-6 (mingw special), gcc 3.2 (cygwin prerelease) and Boost 1.29.0
     + MSVC 7 and Boost 1.28.0

- Roland