From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-16 20:29:38

"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> We've got two cases where it would be very useful to be able to easily
> extract the library name from a header file:
>
> * Generating a dependency analysis based on library names rather than than
> header names.

Thanks. I had suggested such a dependency tree based on libraries rather
than on headers be available for those who want to distribute Boost without
having to distribute the entire header file directory. Of course each
library should have a list of its headers in such a dependency tree. I am
glad you have picked up on the practicality of that idea. As much as I like
Boost I have been reticent to use portions of it in distributable library
code since all the headers must be included in the distribution, unless I
worked out all the header dependencies for all areas of Boost which I use,
which is too much of a PITA even to contemplate. With dependencies based on
libraries, and with all of the header files in a particular library
specified in such a dependency tree, distributing just portions of Boost
will be much easier.