From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-17 13:34:22

At 08:29 PM 12/16/2002, Edward Diener wrote:

>"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> We've got two cases where it would be very useful to be able to easily
>> extract the library name from a header file:
>>
>> * Generating a dependency analysis based on library names rather than
>than
>> header names.
>
>Thanks. I had suggested such a dependency tree based on libraries rather
>than on headers be available for those who want to distribute Boost
without
>having to distribute the entire header file directory. Of course each
>library should have a list of its headers in such a dependency tree. I am
>glad you have picked up on the practicality of that idea.

There have been a number of ideas floated, such as a dependency tree based
on libraries, that I wanted to tackle in C++ rather than one of the
traditional scripting languages. Hence the detour to do the filesystem
library.

Having a relatively easy way to identify libraries will further ease the
programming.

> As much as I like
>Boost I have been reticent to use portions of it in distributable library
>code since all the headers must be included in the distribution, unless I
>worked out all the header dependencies for all areas of Boost which I
use,
>which is too much of a PITA even to contemplate. With dependencies based
on
>libraries, and with all of the header files in a particular library
>specified in such a dependency tree, distributing just portions of Boost
>will be much easier.

Perhaps it might be possible to use the dependency information to drive a
download process that only pulled in what was asked for, plus
dependencies. I think cygwin does that now in their setup wizard.

--Beman