From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-17 10:10:17

(You can ignore this message unless you run Boost regression testing
software.)

We are making some reliability enhancements to the regression testing
software:

* boost-root/tools/build/testing.jam changes ensure that changes to a
library force dependencies to be rebuilt and rerun, and ensure that library
build failures cause dependencies to also be reported as failed.

* An bjam option (--dump-tests) causes an output message associating test
names with the test program. That increases reliability of status report
library identification.

* The boost-root/tools/regression/process_jam_log.cpp and
compiler_status.cpp programs have been updated to make use of the bjam and
testing.jam improvements, and to work with the current filesystem library
release.

These changes are checked into CVS on a "sane-testing" branch. Affected
files are:

   boost-root/tools/build/testing.jam
   boost-root/tools/regression/process_jam_log.cpp
   boost-root/tools/regression/compiler_status.cpp

AFAIK, the changes are all working right now, and I'll switch the Win32
tests over today. But I'll delay merging the sane-testing branch in CVS
until Friday to give users a bit of advance notice of the change.

To change to the new setup, do this:

* Rebuild bjam.
* Delete all bin directories (residue files are different).
* Change scripts to add the bjam --dump-tests option.
* Rebuld status reporting programs (use .../tools/regression/build/Jamfile)

Thanks to Dave Abrahams for the bjam and testing.jam improvements!

--Beman