From: Douglas Paul Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-25 22:41:18

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Edward Diener wrote:
> One should be able to order the call of slots when connecting them to a
> signal by saying that a slot should currently come first or last in the
> overall order without having to manually manufacturer low and high group
> numbers. This is especially so because disparate slots will not know about
> the group numbers of other slots in a signal-slot system.

This could be simulated with an appropriate wrapper around the GroupName
template parameter. In fact, that is probably the best solution ("don't
pay for what you don't use" philosophy).

> One should be able to say sig.disconnect(someslot) in the same way that one
> says sig,connect(someslot).

If I could do it, I would. Unfortunately, this requires comparison of,
e.g., Boost.Function objects which can't generally be done. It _may_ be
possible to do in limited cases, however.

> Combiners are neat but a better explanation of their general signature(s)
> would be appreciated. I can just make it out from the examples but I imagine
> other users might not be able to.

Noted. I'll introduce more documentation and additional examples
describing combiners in the near future.

> Borland has had a simple signal/slot mechanism in C++ Builder (__closures)
> at least 7 years previous to MS .NET's incarnation. Just thought you should
> know.

Yes, Borland's event/closure mechanism should be mentioned. (It should
probably also be supported directly in Boost.Function, but that's another
matter).

Thanks for the comments!

        Doug