From: Thomas Wenisch (twenisch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-17 11:27:11

Hi all,

I have not followed this discussion closely, but I did want to add on one
point:

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> > BTW what if I want ? as a part of my parameter name?
>
> Do you need this really?
>
> > For example:
> >
> > my_program /roll trace file? = "yes"
> >
> > CLA is basic facility that is used by many people with different habits. You
> > could not afford to incur too many restrictions.
>
> I think that *existing* habits shold be supported. However, the library should
> encourage some "standard" command line style. Contrived command line style is
> only an inconvenience to user. As an example: what does "-r" option to CVS
> does? (It has 2 unrelated meanings, and about 4 syntax variations)

Some programs might support a command line like this:

   my_program ?

To print out help information (ie same as my_program --help). Therefore,
allowing ? as a command line argument is an important use case. I am not
sure whether or not Vladimir's proposal would support a question mark by
itself.

Regards,
-Tom Wenisch
Computer Architecture Lab