From: Greg Colvin (Gregory.Colvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-19 14:29:25

At 12:11 PM 1/19/2003, David Abrahams wrote:

>As interesting as this may be, the discussion of string literals as
>template parameters is off-topic for this group. Please either
>connect this discussion back to library design or take it elsewhere.

Agreed. An interesting question is how to design around
the existing language to get the effect of having string
literals. Such attempts are often a good way to tell
whether and how the language might need to be extended.

Of the top of my head, how about a static table of strings,
and a parallel enumeration of indexes into the table, so
that the indexes are integral constants suitable for use
as template parameters.