From: Alisdair Meredith (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-20 08:08:08

Gennaro Prota wrote:

> The argument about contradicting the boost purpose, raised by someone
> else, is totally unwarranted as well. Boost would remain exactly the
> same it is now: donation would be a "side effect".

My point (being someone else) is that side effect is to fund something
entirely separate to boost. If someone has an issue with that other
organisation, that could lead on to rejecting boost.

Also in hindsight, does exchanging money for the code have commercial
implications with respect to implied contracts, liabilities and so forth
in some countries? IANAL, but I have vague recollections of implied
contracts being different if money changes hands.

Considering the problems some people have with the corporate lawyers
sneaking a license for the free code, do we want to complicate matters
further?

Also note: If a charity wants to set up a boost distribution there is
nothing stopping it doing so. Potentially boost could offer links to
anyone supporting a boost distribution separate from the main site, but
that is another matter.

--
AlisdairM
Team Thai Kingdom