From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-21 14:21:41

Toon Knapen <toon.knapen_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Tuesday 21 January 2003 16:30, Rene Rivera wrote:
>> BUt I can't figure out why it doesn't detect the toolset? All the build.sh
>> does is check to see if "xlc" is in the path.
> I can confirm that xlc is in the path. So that's not it. Note though that
> calling 'xlc' without arguments will launch the manpages and thus you need to
> type 'q' to get to your prompt again.
>
>> Or do you mean that it uses
>> some other toolset to build bjam?
> Nope, no gcc is installed so it uses xlc or xlC.

In general, invoking a compiler without arguments is likely to produce
strange results. Many just give an error. On Sun, for example, if
you want to know the version you have to give a filename, even if it
doesn't exist. Maybe we should be doing this detection slightly
differently.

--
                       David Abrahams