From: Jason Shirk (jasonsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-02 22:43:13

If you aren't getting reasonably prompt responses to questions like this
on MS newsgroups, send me a private email and I'll definitely follow up.
As a team, VC++ is significantly more responsive to NG posts now, but
some still slip through the cracks.

> What question are you asking? I think all NDAs on the vc7.1 betas are
> expired, so I can just run a test...
>
> However, you obviously missed my point: there _is_ no way in heck
> they're going to change the object layout, thus making vc7.1 object
> code incompatible with vc7 object code. Objects with multiple empty
> bases have to have the same size in both versions and their members
> have to live at the same offsets.
>
> BTW, VC++ is not the only kid on the block, and the same argument
> applies to all the other players.

As usual, you are absolutely correct. Backwards compatibility in our
object model is critical. I seriously doubt we'll ever do the ZBO by
default.

I do plan on implementing it in the next few months, and it will
definitely be under a switch. I can't possibly predict when anyone
outside MS will see such a compiler though, sorry.

--
Jason Shirk
VC++ Compiler Team