From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-03 01:32:09

"Jason Shirk" <jasonsh_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
oft.com...
> [...]
> If you aren't getting reasonably prompt responses to questions like
> this on MS newsgroups, send me a private email and I'll definitely
> follow up.

Thanks for the offer.

> [...]
> As usual, you are absolutely correct. Backwards compatibility in
> our object model is critical. I seriously doubt we'll ever do the
> ZBO by default.
> [...]

What can you say about empty member optimization in VC6.5 and
later? Also, do you have any idea why an empty class that inherits
from non-empty bases would be bigger than the sum of the size of
the bases? Obviously, trivial test cases do not show this behaviour,
but the policy_ptr in the sandbox does (though you'll probably have
to wait till Monday afternoon for me to check in the latest version).

Dave