From: Rene Rivera (grafik666_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-04 20:20:44

[2003-02-04] Beman Dawes wrote:

>At 05:52 PM 2/4/2003, Rene Rivera wrote:
>
> >In a bout of cleaning, and wanting to learn about SourceForge file
> >distribution... I put all the historical releases of Boost, and the
>current
> >also, in the SourceForge files distribution system.
>
>Thanks! Looks great! I was wondering who added the other releases and the
>bjam files:-)
>
> > Also available now are
> >bzip2 versions for those interested in smaller downloads. For details
>see:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7586
>
>I'll add bz2 files to future releases. Could you send me a copy of the
>script or command you used? My knowledge of bzip2 is exactly zero, except
>that I do see cygwin has supplied a version for my Windows box.
>
>Did you run the earlier ones with UNIX line endings?
>
>The .bz2 files are so much smaller than the .zip that I wouldn't be
>surprised if we get asked to also supply the untranslated line ending files
>in the .bz2 format. We'd need to come up with a distinctive naming
>convention.

The line endings on the bz2 files are exactly what they are in the gz files.
The reason is that I took the gz files and recompressed them directly with
bzip2. This is the command that I used:

    gunzip -c file.tar.gz | bzip2 > file.tar.bz2

> >With this the historical releases that usually are available on the
> >boost.sourceforge.net/release, are no longer. Now only the latest release
>
> >is available there.
>
>I've also been trying out the SourceForge release system with good results.
>It's really amazing how much easier it all became after they improved their
>docs.
>
>Starting with the 1.30.0 release, the plan is to only make the SourceForge
>file list the only download source. I've already updated more/download.html
>in CVS.

Ah, good, I was going to suggest we add a link to the SourceForge downloads
:-)

>Thanks again,

You're welcome.

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera_at_[hidden] - grafik_at_[hidden]
-- 102708583_at_icq