From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-06 08:06:37

Daniel Frey wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>>
>> Daniel Frey wrote:
>>>
>>> I aim for a smart pointer which is 4 bytes and adds another 4 bytes
>>> to the intrusivly counted object - no more. AFAICS boost cannot
>>> offer this with the current design.
>>
>> If I understand correctly, you are saying that you want something
>> close to boost::intrusive_ptr, but boost::shared_ptr is not it.
>
> The documentation mentions scoped_ptr, scoped_array, shared_ptr,
> shared_array and weak_ptr. I don't know which of all the other
> pointers occasionally mentioned at this list are "officially"
> supported smart pointers. Is there a list available that I can refer
> to to select the right pointer?

intrusive_ptr will be "official" (read: I finally wrote something resembling
a documentation) in the upcoming 1.30. But that's not my point. My point is
that you need an intrusive smart pointer. Of course shared_ptr cannot offer
this with its non-intrusive design. It never attempted to. The optional
intrusive counting "feature" (that's been removed) was offered only as a
potential solution to the "shared from this" problem.