From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-10 13:33:00

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Unspecified, but I don't think we can avoid that with the low-level
>> interface. High level wrappers that package creation and execution
>> would be immune to this problem.
>
> Is there really a need for a low-level async_call interface? After
> all, the existing threads interface provides all the low-levelness
> you can handle.

I don't know. But the low-levelness contributed by async_call is unique, and
not covered by boost::thread at present. I'm thinking of the R f() -> { void
f(), R result() } transformation, with the associated synchronization and
(possibly) encapsulated exception transporting/translation from the
execution to result(). It's a tool that allows high-level interfaces to be
built. Whether people will want/need to build their own high-level
interfaces is another story.