From: Michel André (michel.andre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-12 14:22:39

> Anyone who was working on it - what's the current state of play? The
> flurry of mail on here a while back seemed to fizzle out. Is that
> because development has stalled?
> If I can help out with what limited time and knowledge of the subject
> I have I will. I really want to see this library in boost, and I know
> there are
> many others who do.

Hugo Duncan and I have been juggling ideas about a socket library for boost
and discussing on the boost wiki and partly on the list.

And we have started with an rough sketch of how a socket library for boost
could look like. It's currently checked in into the boost sandbox.
http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostSocket
contains some of the discussions and details.

The work has not been progressing as much as I want due to a heavy workload
on my daytime job. But we certainly like some feedback on the progress so
far. Have we choosen a dead end or a viable path. The implementation in the
sandbox has been compiled with gcc/cygwin, bcc and vc6.0 and vc7.0. So we
need some input on porting to Unix especially the asynchrounous parts.

So I would say that we have a long road to travel to finnish implementation,
produce documentation test cases and all that. And when we have come that
far there is the formal review and i guess there will be a lot of heat when
that will come ;).

So I wouldn't count on sockets to be a part of boost for some time (unless
of course someone else submits another proposal or helps me and Hugo out on
what we have so far to speed the progess).

Regards
/Michel