From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-19 10:45:49

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:33:31 +0100, Markus Schöpflin
<markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>You are right, it's a conformance problem with VA6, at least on my
>installation. But the fix on the 1.29.0 branch should work. Could you
>please merge it to the main trunk?

Well, I think that's up to Jeremy or Chuck who are the authors of the
library.

Anyhow, I'm not sure we have understood each other (maybe party the
fact I talked about "main branch" instead of "main trunk", sorry): the
version shipped with boost 1.29.0 has no conditionals around the calls
to allocate(): it simply passes the second argument explicitly. It was
a deliberate goal to have a version that did work _and_ didn't have
#if-s (I would have eliminated the #if-s that were there before, even
if they weren't incorrect: too annoying when reading the code, in any
case). Visual Age 6 doesn't like that either, but of course I would
still prefer keeping the code without the conditionals. That's why I
asked if changing the type of the second argument with:

 allocate(calc_num_blocks(num_bits), static_cast<const Block *>(0))

fixes the problem. Otherwise I think I will use some helper macro,
like:

#if ...
#define BOOST_STD_ALLOCATOR_DEFAULT_HINT \
           static_cast<const void*>(0)
#else...

#define BOOST_STD_ALLOCATOR_DEFAULT_HINT /**/

#endif

in a config file.

Anyway, all this just refers to the sandbox (where there's by the way
a much newer version of dynamic_bitset): changes to the main cvs
repository, especially those going into a release, better have the
authors' approval.

Genny.