From: Rozental, Gennadiy (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-20 15:54:20

> > The only place where you will see usage of the name
> smart_ptr is somewhere
> > deep in library code:
> >
> > typedef smart_ptr <...> GlobalMemoryHandler;
> >
> > After that you will use non-confusing name GlobalMemoryHandler.
>
> It may work out that way in this case - but why not make the name
> non-confusing in the first place?

It's not confusing to me.

> You appear here to concede that it *is* confusing.

No. Imeant that *even* it is confusing for *you*, you still will see it only
in one place.

> We are talking about smart_ptr and a potential smart_resource
> concept - not
> GloalMemoryHandler - that was just an example of where the
> naming becomes
> particularly confusing - whether it is buried deep in library
> code or not.

This is an example of most wide IMO usage of smart_ptr framework:
1. you define custom policy
2. typedef your own type with correct name
3. Enjoy both correct name and flexible framework

> I still have yet to hear why you do not like the idea of putting these
> concepts in their appropriate order?

I keep repeating that I do not see a difference in concepts. IOW IMO there
is only one concept:
resource management that is impleemented in framework named "smart_ptr"

Regards,

Gennadiy.