From: Jason Shirk (jasonsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-25 18:51:10

From: David Abrahams

>> Hum, it looks like Microsoft took you up on it.
>
>Well, it was MS I was haranguing most-loudly about it.

I don't recall a discussion on warnings about ADL, I'll need a refresher. I do recall a discussion we had on non-dependent names.

>> See the shared_ptr_test warning on the VC++ 7.1 beta regression
>> test.
>
>I've seen that. It's a different warning IIUC. Doesn't it go off
>whether or not you find the overload in the same namespace the search
>started from?

The warning we added in VC7.1 was purely to diagnose behavior changes due to the implementation of ADL on ordinary function calls. I can't think of a scenario where it would warn as you suggest.

Jason Shirk
VC++ Compiler Team