From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-05 10:43:38

> > What is the point of that? How are the tags used?
>
> The point is that if there are multiple merges from the trunk to the
> branch, you'll need something to mark the version on the trunk of the
> previous merge. At the point you first create the branch, the
> previous merge point is the same as the branch point.
>
> The multiple merge thing is probably much less of an issue when
> working from trunk to branch, but it still could be useful to have
> the tag. I would call the tag "merged_to_<branch name>".

So this is something each developer would do when merging to
the branch from MAIN if they want 'extra' information
in CVS about where the merge took place? If this is
correct, I'm generally opposed to this extra step as
I don't see what it is going to buy you above and beyond
what you can get in CVS log command. Am I missing
something?

Jeff