From: David Pearce (d.pearce_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-06 10:19:37

Hey,

> As far as I can understand you are asking for a ranomized integer value
> in the range [0,n) (i.e. n exclusive). If randomizing bits is what you
> want, then the correct call is rgen(2), not rgen(1) (which basically
> mean asking for an integer between 0 and 0 which doesn't exist so the
> failure is expected). This may look counterintuitive to you, but you can
> easily implement your own version which does not subtract 1 from n if
> wanted.

"Function call f(N) N is positive. Returns a pseudo-random number of
type Integer. [2] The return value is less than N, and greater than or
equal to 0."

--Taken from the SGI STL webpage regarding the Random Number Generator
concept.

Therefore, zero should be a valid result from rgen(1) as it is within
the range [0,1). I accept there would be no valid result for rgen(0).

Furthermore, the SGI implementation of random_sample_n, which I admit is
an SGI extension, expects that rgen(1) will return 0.

Cheers,

Dave