From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-06 11:38:50

At 11:35 AM 3/5/2003, David Abrahams wrote:

>>> The multiple merge thing is probably much less of an issue when
>>> working from trunk to branch, but it still could be useful to have
>>> the tag. I would call the tag "merged_to_<branch name>".
>>
>> So this is something each developer would do when merging to
>> the branch from MAIN if they want 'extra' information
>> in CVS about where the merge took place? If this is
>> correct, I'm generally opposed to this extra step as
>> I don't see what it is going to buy you above and beyond
>> what you can get in CVS log command. Am I missing
>> something?
>
>If you make a big change on the trunk and need to merge to the
>branch, and then you do it again, you want
>
> cvs merge -jmerged_to_RC_whatever -jHEAD
>
>In order to make the merge work properly. If the release manager
>doesn't tag the head at the merge point, the first person to merge
>from trunk to branch messes up that arrangement.

OK, I've added the tag "merged_to_RC_1_30_0" to the CVS at the appropriate
point in time.

It took a couple of hours experimenting with the sandbox to figure out how
to do this correctly. WinCVS (and presumably cvs itself) seems to report
time as UTC, but expects input times to be local.

The tagging itself took over an hour even though SourceForge CVS seemed to
running very quickly this morning on other operations.

--Beman