From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-06 13:57:14

At 11:38 AM 3/6/2003, Beman Dawes wrote:

> >> So this is something each developer would do when merging to
> >> the branch from MAIN if they want 'extra' information
> >> in CVS about where the merge took place? If this is
> >> correct, I'm generally opposed to this extra step as
> >> I don't see what it is going to buy you above and beyond
> >> what you can get in CVS log command. Am I missing
> >> something?
> >
> >If you make a big change on the trunk and need to merge to the
> >branch, and then you do it again, you want
> >
> > cvs merge -jmerged_to_RC_whatever -jHEAD
> >
> >In order to make the merge work properly. If the release manager
> >doesn't tag the head at the merge point, the first person to merge
> >from trunk to branch messes up that arrangement.

more/release_procedures.htm has been updated to reflect these discussions.

The changes to more/release_procedures.htm were made on the main trunk, and
then merged into RC_1_30_0, and the process repeated several times as the
instructions were refined and corrected.

In other words, the procedure was applied to its own documentation:-)

At least in WinCVS, this was a good deal easier than the old way IMO.

Please take a look at more/release_procedures.htm and suggest any
corrections necessary.

Thanks,

--Beman