From: Joel Young (jdy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-06 13:46:51

--------
From: Paul Beardsley <beardsley_lists_at_[hidden]>

> in favor of 80-column text is just that

> So I wondered what the general opinion of boost developers is on this issue,

I am in favor of 72 column lines myself. This allows me to have three
comfortable columns of code on the screen at once. It also makes printing
easy. It means that I don't have to scan my eyes over and over and over
to the right to see what a line means. I don't have to keep scanning
six inches from left to right, rather than up and down a half cm.

Also editing long lines is more difficult. It is much easier (for me)
to comment out lines and insert different lines of a multi-line
statement. It is easier to see what is changed with shorter lines.
Patches are clearer with short line lengths.

I find other people's code with long linelengths is cause by either too
much nesting or by putting too many concepts on one line...

Joel