From: Rozental, Gennadiy (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-06 14:50:37

> > in favor of 80-column text is just that
>
> > So I wondered what the general opinion of boost developers
> is on this issue,
>
> I am in favor of 72 column lines myself. This allows me to have three
> comfortable columns of code on the screen at once.

This is namely the reason why I would prefer longer lines. On majority on
modern monitors 80-column text fit to left 1/3 of monitor space, leaving 2/3
blank.
>From "idiological prospective" you won't find too many reasons to defend
80-column limitation. We tend to use more and more explicit namespace
specifications, a lot of template parameters, effectively making even simple
assignment to spread on multiple lines (and less readable) would you stick
to 80-column. Unless you try to put several statements on the same line, I
prefer to see it long not separated. On the other hand, I admit that there
are still as lot of people using vi through terminal connection.

Gennadiy.