From: Brian Gray (briangray_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-06 15:20:24

I'd say it's primarily the 80-column terminal limit that is the
reasoning for this. I personally only go to 79 columns so that when I
work on a terminal and I type that 80th line the insertion pointer
doesn't wrap.

Aside from that, on my current monitor (1152 pixels wide), I can get 2
CodeWarrior source windows side-by-side at 80 columns, but not much
more if I want to be able to see desktop icons on the side of it. And
it's very useful to have those two, usually a source file and its
accompanying header. So even if there were no such thing as a
text-based terminal anymore, I'd still be in favor of limiting the
number of columns to about what we're using.

  -- Brian