From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-12 13:13:33

"Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve" <rwgk_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I see new features being added to RC_1_30_0.
> Is this the right balance of innovation and stability?
> I've spent several days cleaning up RC_1_30_0 for a large number of platforms.
> It takes a long time to do all the compilations and tests. Do I have to do this
> all over again to salvage my significant investment?
> I wish the rules for release candidates are much stricter: NO new features
> after branching, only bug fixes and portability fixes should be allowed. If
> everybody keeps squeezing in new features at the last minute the whole idea of
> having a release candidate is obsolete.

Calm, calm, my boy!

If you're referring to Boost.Python changes, I was very careful to be
sure that none of them would affect existing users. Pyste and the
opaque_pointer stuff are completely orthogonal to the rest of the
project. For Pyste in particular it was important to make it easily
accessible to people in the next release so that Bruno could start
getting lots of feedback.

OTOH, I appreciate your concern, and I think your rule is a good one.
I would be willing to adopt it strictly for future releases.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting