From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-12 18:03:03

"Dirk Gerrits" <dirk_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Eric Martel wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Nearly 5 months later, did anyone work on this bimap? Will it be
> > included anytime soon in an official distribution of boost?
>
> On a related issue: has anyone worked on boost::map? It was supposed
> to be a generalisation of bimap, being able to work with an arbitrary
> number of keys and values, if I recall correctly.

Actually, there already is a policy-based map that I have tentatively called
boost::map in the sandbox. However, the part about an arbitrary number
of keys and values never got implemented. I was hoping other people
with lots of free time on their hands would pick it up and play with it. ;)

If I had the time, I would create a policy adaptor that would enable this
functionality. It would require fundamental changes to the design, but
I think the policy-based nature of the existing implementation would
ease that somewhat.

On an unrelated note, one thing that might be a concern is that I did not
write the map from scratch. I used the STLport implementation of
std::map, which came from SGI or HP (or both, for all I remember). I
wonder if the license is Boost-compatible? Can anyone comment?
I suppose I could rewrite the map from scratch, but this is a ton of work
that I especially don't have time to do, and it would be a shame if it had
to be done because of licensing issues.

Dave