From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-13 07:45:58

Daniel Frey wrote:

> A general question: Is it really desirable to have separate mailing
> lists? Maybe it's just me, but I prefer one mailing list for all
> discussions. Of course there are discussions I don't follow, but
> sometimes, you see things in an unrelated thread that can be used for
> the stuff you are interested in.

That's completely the matter of convenience. For example, separate lists
seems more convenient for me: I pay more intention to jamboost, and browse
main list via NNTP. It's easier to search for messages via gmane, too.

Of course, this can be helped with proper filters, folders, etc. But I've some
problems with it. I suspect that other people might find it impossible. Note
that many posts don't even have correct "In-Reply-To" header, which breaks
threading. I doubt you can expect a lot of technology from all subscribers.

> These synergy-effects are not available when the lists are separated.

Not sure. I have boost list, boost-user list and spirit list in news reader,
so I can see what happens in all of them. Likewise, you can subscribe to
all lists and store emails in one folder.

- Volodya