From: Dave Gomboc (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-13 16:45:08

> Here is the current list:
>
> It looks to me like we should hold the lexical_cast changes until the
> next release. There are really two issues IIUC - some wide-character
> support problems and VC++ 6.0 support. While the wide-character problems
> might be possible to resolve quickly, VC++ 6.0 support is going to take
> some time to work out. Thus I think we should revert the RC_1_30_0
> branch and move on.

> I am biased anyway, but I would vote for reverting the lexical_cast
> changes in RC_1_30_0.

I would vote to fix lexical_cast before release. I've already been
waiting months for 1.30 to have the space problem fixed, I really don't
want to wait months more. I know that I'm not the only one with this
problem also.

Frankly, wchar_t support in lexical_cast isn't as important as fixing the
space problem, I'd rather the fix go in even if it regresses in this area
-- unless someone pipes up to say they are actually USING wchar_t and
lexical_cast on a compiler that won't grok the new code. And if there is
such a person, then I'd appreciate the ugly hack of including both
versions with #ifdefs.

[In general, I do agree with the fellow who recommended bug-fixes-only
after the branch. I consider the lexical_cast space problem a serious
bug, that's all. ;-]

Dave