From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-13 16:08:00

Thomas Witt <witt_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>

>>>Kevlin did update the docs; the complaint is that the updates are unclear.
>> I thought the complaint was that the current state is plain
>> inaccurate
>> in major ways.
>>

> The complaint is that the doc's are misleading, at times straddling
> the border to being outright wrong. See my citations.
>
> It was a tough day today, maybe I am just mad. Could somebody please
> check whether the docs explain the special behaviour for
> std::basic_string. If they do I'll stop complaining. If they don't
> they need to be fixed before release.

I can't tell: "Note that spaces are significant in any conversion and
are not skipped" is not meaningful to me. I had the impression that
the semantics with respect to embedded space handling had changed so
that lexical_cast<std::string>("foo bar") == std::string("foo bar"),
but that's the only phrase which even comes close to being applicable
in the last year of changes to the docs.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting