From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-18 10:13:13

Gottfried.Ganssauge_at_[hidden] writes:

> On my Linux system I'm using the gcc toolset for all my boost work.
> Recently I had to use a different version of gcc which is installed under a
> different name.
> Ok, I thought, time to use set the GXX and GCC Variables in order to use
> that different gcc version.
>
> Here's what I tried (I'm using bash as my shell):
> 1.) GXX=g++-2.95 GCC=gcc-2.95 bjam -d2
> To my surprise I saw that gcc-C++-action is still using g++
>
> 2.) bjam -sGXX=g++-2.95 -sGCC=gcc-2.95 bjam -d2
> This one also won't use my different gcc version.
>
> The only thing that worked was a modification of gcc-tools.jam.
> The boost version I'm using is RC_1_30_0 drawn from the CVS this noon.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I do this with a gcc2 toolset file which I place in my
BOOST_BUILD_PATH. It contains nothing more than:

        extends-toolset gcc ;
        GXX = g++-2.95 ;
        GCC = gcc-2.95 ;

The whole system for customizing/configuring toolsets is fragile and
incoherent at the moment, and I don't want to try to fix it for BBv1
since BBv2 is much better in this department.

HTH,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting