From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-18 11:34:29

> My patience has been exhausted. The folks that care about configuring
> lexical_cast for GCC 2.95.3 with the SGI library need come forward
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you mean without? The regression tests with the SGI library look
fine...

> immediately and tell us how to deal with this, or 1.30.0 will ship as is.

I realize this be considered a horrific hack, but why not just

//pseudo code
#ifdef (GCC2.9.3 && !STLPORT)
  //OLD lexical cast implementation using strstream

#else
  //new lexical cast implementation

#endif

2.95.3 is a dead compiler with a bad standard library, but
it is still widely used. In 1.29 lexical_cast and date_time
are reasonably well supported on this compiler. I think as
a fundamental principle we should not go forward with a
release that breaks support for a previously supported
platform as part of a fix or enhancement.

If we really can't wait any longer for the release and
the above isn't acceptable than I would vote for
rolling back the lexical_cast fix to 1.29 level.

Jeff