From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-18 15:34:12

--- Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> >> You're probably right, but the other compilers didn't
> >> complain... Anyway, that wasn't the cause of the problem; the
> >> problem seems to be that gcc-2.9x doesn't recognize the defaulted
> >> argument but insists on having an argument anyway. Now i have
> >> changed my specializations such that these have *no* arguments and
> >> now it works on all my compilers (MSVC6, VC7.1ß, gcc-2.95.3,
> >> gcc-3.2).
> >
> >I think we need to keep the argument for VC6 at least; the problem is
> >one that shows up at link time because VC6 seems to distinguish
> >function template instantiations only by the types of the arguments
> >and not the template parameters. If you amend the patch so that it
> >still uses the default argument for VC6, I will be happy for Ralf to
> >apply it.
> >
> >Beman, can we get this in under the wire? It only affects
> >Boost.Python and then only a new feature of Boost.Python.
>
> Yes, if it is ready in the next couple of hours. Please let me know when it
> is committed.

I have the patch ready to go and it fixes the gcc 2.96 problem. However, I am
in limbo because I am waiting for a word from David. I don't think his concern
above is valid, but I am not certain.

Beman, here is an idea: I could check in the patch now and restart our
multi-platform Boost.Python regression tests. When we hear back from David we
have the results already. Then we can decide what to do based on all the
information that we have.

Ralf