From: Daniel Frey (daniel.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-24 04:18:08

David Abrahams wrote:
> Daniel Frey <daniel.frey_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>>And I'd prefer to have a
>>separator for the non-releases like the '-' anywhere:
>>
>>v1_30-branch
>>v1_30_0-rc1
>>v1_30_0
>>v1_30_1-rc1
>>v1_30_1-rc2
>>v1_30_1
>

> Why?

Nothing technical / serious. Just my personal taste, yours may vary :)
Anything without a '-' marks a real release

[Cut&paste from your second post:]
> I'm even inclined to do as other projects do and kill all the
> underscores, waiting to deal with ambiguity until it arises. It's
> going to be a *long* time before we have numbers that could conflict.

Short (or should I say: too short) labels will buy us nothing IMHO. Is
there any reason for as-short-as-possible labels? I just tried to create
a non-breaking, readable naming scheme which reflects the current use of
branches and tags, but I don't have any strong feelings about whether it
should be used or not...

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Frey
aixigo AG - financial training, research and technology